Sunday, September 18, 2005

Walking Badly

One impossibility I've never gotten used to while living here is the way people disregard their surroundings altogether when moving about on foot. Put a Japanese person in a car and he's a absolute robot of subtle awareness, but as soon as those heels hit the pavement, out come the cell phones, Sony PSP’s and manga comics.

At least once a day I'll be strolling down the sidewalk, minding my own business, only to have some High School student skip out of a doorway - with neither a look to the left or the right - lighting a cigarette or flipping open his keitai as he lands immediately in front of me.

Or in a crowded station, where people often finish their conversations with an acquaintance or a friend, then turn around suddenly and make to speed off, instead crashing directly into yourself. When I first got here I spent a lot of time dodging, ducking and diving to avoid these people, always amazed that they never took even a second to survey the landscape before barging ahead.

These days I just keep walking. At first that resulted in lots of crashing into other people and countless interrupted games of Tetris, but before long people seemed to sense my presence differently, and would kind of flow around me like any other obstacle hovering on the side-line. Now all I have to watch out for is the salary guys who puff away on crowded streets and sometimes give the wild, ciggy-in-hand gestures that regularly target the small space between my nose and forehead.

12 comments:

Kashmiri said...

All for 2 weeks people.

Ill be on a trip abroad, a special one that is. Will i have anything to say about it?

Well you will just have to check :)

Au revoir!

Aisha said...

ooh a special trip.... :) Have fun! Good Luck! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kashmiri - Thanks for listing my blog on your list of Weblogs! a nice warm welcome to the blogosphere. I do appreciate it. :-)

BBCD said...

the world is a buzy place!

hope you have a wonderful hoilday, take lots of pictures. i look forward to seeing them.. you luck guy!

Anonymous said...

Have a great trip!

Sarah said...

hey, have fun!

Mars said...

can't wait.. have fun you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Where in Uk r u from?
*U*

Jhena said...

I've always been afraid of bumping into a rushing crowd. In fact, seeing a lot of people walking toward my direction gives me an idea that I'm going to have an accident.

Jhena said...

May I link to your site?

Kashmiri said...

sure go ahead...

sorry for no new update.

i will be back with a bang once my work free's up after a long vacation!

thanks people!

Aisha said...

so, are you still on vacation?