Friday, November 04, 2005

Travels - Part I


Khaliq - Part I

As I walked into the departure lounge trying to spot a suitable place/person - preferably with someone who I could strike a conversation with - I knew I’d seen a Pakistani and I was happy. Endless meetings of Indians had left me somewhat bewildered at no sight of the other rival.

Shortly after beginning formalities of initial conversation in Urdu and also because my jaw started to hurt, we switched to Punjabi like a change of gear. He was full of advice. But one advice that seemed to stick to me instantly was:

“I wouldn’t count on your friend being there for you in Delhi. Have some back-up plan and be careful. You see, we (Pakistani’s) are not like Hindu’s. They are too secretive about things and only value friendship with their own”.

Being a bit of a rationalist I discarded this straight away, or I tried to. I couldn’t help but think of it on my way to Bangkok and later.

My dosage of conversation wasn’t still complete and so I managed to swap seats to talk more. His name was Khaliq. He was a proud man and somewhat stubborn. Typical base attributes for a Pakistani, I thought. But nice, because being nice shows others soul of a human, he said. I liked him straight away.

All for now, continue tomorrow!

7 comments:

Aisha said...

welcome back! Where exactly did you go?
Do you speak Punjabi! :) Cool, me too!

Aisha said...

oh and keep up your travelogue. I love hearing about people's experiences abroad.

usman said...

lol, paa jee,come over to london NOW, and how bout a free mc premier ?

Zak said...

haha I like that base attributes comment..

Khawab said...

hey nice blog....
btw which part of kashmir r u frm....
me also frm kashmir.... :)

Sarah said...

*still tuned in for crispy stories*

Kashmiri said...

Ussy ur tempting me, STOP oye! When we going Pittsburgh?

Sorry for no updates, man, i cant think of what to write of travels. So ill update in time.